At MKA we endeavour to see every show we can be it indy, student or pro. Should you wish for members of MKA to attend a production of yours then please send the details and/or invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Between the staff and associate artists at MKA theatre we read everything that you take the time to submit and whilst we can’t guarantee you that we’ll have the time to send you a detailed response we will give it a go. You can use the post, but for the sake of the planet we’d prefer you just pop it in an email and that way you can guarantee we all get a chance to read it.
The doors are always open. If you are a writer or creative who would like to speak to us about a particular project, or your work in general, we’ve got time to hear from you. Make contact. Set up a time.
Shoot those texts to…
Jana Perkovic – Literary Manager
Or organise a meeting
Ph: +61 9421 5476
We encourage all submissions but MKA are particularly interested in:
• New writing
• Performance texts that are politically, socially and philosophically engaged
• Works for music theatre
• Performance texts that are ambitious
• Performance texts for any cast size
• We welcome text from international writers, and can accept (and wish to produce) plays written in most major languages
• We read texts of any length
• We will read adaptations or versions of existing texts – even Shakespeare, Homer, Buchner, Greek or Roman myths etc
• We program plays about difficult issues. Try us. Probably draw the line at right wing propaganda though / advertoria.
• Plays for children
• Plays to be performed by children
• We do not produce film, television or radio scripts, short stories or novels BUT we totally would OR if you want to adapt one into a live work let’s do it and we can read it to discuss this with you
• We produce works of theatre regardless of apparent genre fit/misfit ie. commercial theatre, thrillers, farces, commercial comedies or avant garde theatre, post-dramatic, monodrama, absurdism, games of twister in which every circle is black.
MKA will periodically post opportunities on this page and via our enews letter. So sign up and check back sometime.
MKA Writing Secondment
with University of Melbourne Student Union
The MKA Writing Secondment is a new award to assist in the development of University of Melbourne Students who are emerging writers for performance.
Since 2010, MKA: Theatre of New Writing have carved a blazing trail across the country’s independent theatre scene; standing out for their commitment to championing original writing.
In 2014, this award will consist of a mentorship facilitated by the company, offering the chance for feedback and development of the awardee’s personal project. The winner will also be seconded to one of the company’s own shows, allowing the opportunity to follow an original piece of writing from development to production. Please note that there is no cash prize or equivalent attached to this award.
- To apply you must be a local or international student currently enrolled at The University of Melbourne (including students at the Victorian College of the Arts and the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music).
- Three or less writers may choose to apply together as a team.
Please download the information and application form below and contact email@example.com with any questions and to submit your application.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
THE WINNER OF THE FIRST INAUGURAL MKA WRITING SECONDMENT IS
HER FIRST MKA WORK WAS READ AS A PART OF NEON UP LATE with MTC AND WILL BE PRESENTED IN 2015!!
THE 2014 WINNER OF THE MKA WRITING SECONDMENT IS
STICK AROUND AND YOU’LL FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!